Travelers head to state
The Tanglefoot Travelers tennis team wrapped up their fall regular season, but will hit the court again on Dec. 6 as they head to the State Championship tournament.
The team, comprised of players from Houston and Pontotoc, and named after the Tanglefoot Trail which runs through both towns, played their final fall match Nov. 8 in the 18-under men’s division. They competed against the Northeast Gold team from Booneville and coach Mike Blissard said they knew the competition would be stiff.
“We knew we had a tough match ahead of us leading up to Monday,” Blissard said. “Both our team and theirs were 4-0. They had won 75 percent of their games and we had won 78 percent (of ours).”
When the Travelers hit the court, they were surpised at what they saw.
“What I didn’t expect was four of the Northeast Community College players standing on the court waiting for us,” Blissard said.
The Travelers, all high school age, accepted the challenge.
“In true David versus Goliath fashion the Tanglefoot Travelers prevalied, four matches to two,” Blissard said.
The winning team included Houston players, Walt Harrington, Ezra Blissard and Lane Brandon.
The team won’t see much down time over the holiday break as their next stop is the State Championship series beginning Dec. 6.
“Now we are preparing to compete at State,” Blissard said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- GLENN MOLETTE: America and shooting back April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago