Around the court
Houlka coach Jimmy Guy McDonald said out loud what is on every coaches’ mind during the early season.
“Some people like to play basketball in November,” McDonald said with a smile. “I like to play in February.”
Although the fans of the sport love the game now matter when it’s played, coaches and players realize Novemeber and December are prime time to sharpen the edges and prepare for the real prize – division wins.
The wildcats came out of November with wins over North Pontotoc and Houston and losses to Oxford and Myrtle, but McDonald predicted pre-season it would be hard to track his team by the regular season schedule.
“You can’t predict a record because we play so many bigger teams,” McDonald said.
Houlka is due to see court time with Hickory Flat, Blue Mountain, Houston, Ingomar and Okolona before breaking into division play against Tupelo Christian Prep in late January.
In other action
The Lady Rams of Vardaman wrapped up November with a win over Hamilton and losses to Water Valley, Charleston and East Webster.
“We have some work to do,” said coach Deanna Winter.
The Vardaman teams will be back on the floor this week in Jumpertown and hosting Myrtle.
They will hit division play before Christmas, hosting Houlka Dec. 20.
East Webster’s boys and girls both picked up wins over Vardaman and TCPS before the Thanksgiving break and will stay in non-division through Christmas.They will open divison in Calhoun City Jan. 21.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Is Hillary’s health our biggest problem? September 24, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Made in Chickasaw September 29, 2016
- Houston Homecoming Queen September 29, 2016
- Winning streak September 29, 2016
- District 4-4A football standings September 29, 2016
- Supervisor to plead guilty to bribery October 1, 2016
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 1, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Is Bush 41 a Republican backstabber? October 1, 2016
- Houston native establishes Vision Center chair at Los Angeles hospital September 30, 2016
- 16th annual Life Chain set for Sunday September 30, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago