EDITORIAL: Driver’s license office needed in Chickasaw County
Okolona is looking at establishing a Mississippi Driver’s License office at the Rockwell Auditorium and we hope they are successful.
The Mississippi Department of Public Safety ruffled this community a year ago when it decided to close its longtime office at the Fire Department in Houston. DPS said it was a cost cutting measure, but has come back the past two years seeking more money in its budget from the Legislature.
This move by DPS has so irked Chickasaw County that our two state lawmakers Senator Russell Jolly (D-Houston) and Representative Preston Sullivan (R-Okolona) sponsored legislation requiring DPS to provide satellite Driver’s License offices in rural counties.
In this day and age of technology this newspaper sees no reason why a some type of mobile office can’t be set up in every rural county in this state at least once a month. Sadly, DPS seems to be dragging its feet and making demands – as it has in Okolona – on what it requires to set up some type of satellite/mobile office.
We hope rural lawmakers will remember their constituents when they travel to Jackson in January and begin looking at budgets of various state agencies and departments. Why should Chickasaw County – or any rural county — be forced to fund any state agency or service that does not benefit taxpayers.
The current situation requires Chickasaw County residents seeking to make a change to their driver’s license, or teenagers looking to get a driver’s license, to travel more than 40 miles to offices in Starkville, Tupelo or Columbus.
That’s half a day to drive, sit in line, fill out the appropriate paperwork or take a test and then drive back home.
We urge Chickasaw County Supervisors, Okolona Aldermen, Houston Aldermen and especially our state lawmakers to hold DPS accountable and urge them to establish regular hours for their services in our community.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago