LISA VOYLES: Get your hunt on!
I’m not a hunter, never have been, but I know a lot of people who are and it’s just fine with me.
No one in my immediate family was big on hunting so I just never learned as a child and now I’m way too lazy to start.
However, having been raised in the suburbs of Hot Air a good part of my life, I have watched orange-clad hunters run up and down the gravel roads looking for the perfect spot to get in the woods or let the dogs out.
Also, having driven rural country roads for the majority of my days, I’ve had several near misses and one head-on collision with deer.
The latter probably accounts for most of my enthusiasm for hunting. I say raise the bag limits and y’all have at it! Hopefully that will keep the deer out of my truck grill.
I have eaten some deer and I’m not particularly impressed with most that I’ve tried, but I understand it’s an aquired taste and depends a lot on who is doing the cooking. My co-worker, Teresa, has brought us deer jerky and my son is very fond of it. So fond, I’ve never gotten a taste of it. My cousin-in-law, Jimmy Loper, makes a mean deer sausage that the whole family loves. So I’m not against eating deer, I’m just a little out of the loop.
I talked with a couple of folks over the Thanksgiving holiday about deer hunting, why they go and how they got started. The common denominator was family bonding, tradition and enjoying the beauty of nature. When something starts out on those three principles, there must be a positive aspect to it.
But I still think it’s too early and too cold for this old girl.
Happy hunting to the rest of you!
Lisa Voyles is Managing Editor/Sports for the Chickasaw Journal. She can be reached at 456-3771 or via email to email@example.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona nipped by Shannon September 22, 2016
- MDOC postpones strict visitation rules September 26, 2016
- Chickasaw County legislator was near New York terrorist attack September 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A place called Houston September 26, 2016
- Fight brought to Houston PD September 27, 2016
- Two arrested on drug charges September 28, 2016
- ICC offers C2C to those who want to work September 28, 2016
- East Webster rolls over South Pontotoc September 28, 2016
- Chieftains fight to the finish September 28, 2016
- Houlka student earns MASS scholarship September 28, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago