4-2A division awards
Division 4-2A was loaded with hard-hitting teams and versatile athletes this season, making division awards a tough choice for local coaches.
But they have weeded through their rosters and made their selections for the Super 24 and All Region teams.
Heading up the list as Player of the Year is Donta Armstrong of Bruce while Jacolbi Heard of Okolona was tapped as Offensive Player of the Year. Cartin McBride of Calhoun City got the nod as Defensive Player of the year.
From the readership area, Okolona had three players listed on the Super 24 team, four on the first team and three honorable mentions.
East Webster High School had five players named to the Super 24 and three on the first team.
Calhoun City, the division champions, pulled in seven players on the Super 24 and seven on the first team, while Bruce had five on the Super 24 and five on the first team. Eupora listed six players on the Super 24 and six on the first team.
The Chieftains compiled a record of 5-5, 2-2, losing in the first round of playoffs to West Bolivar.
“Our kids put in a lot of hard work, both on and off the field,” said Okolona coach Jack Clark. “They showed lots of leadership and were play makers on Friday nights.”
East Webster had a perfect 6-0 fun before hitting division play and ended 6-4, 0-4.
“I was very proud of the kids that were chosen All Division,” said East Webster coach Dough Wilson. “It was an awesome group of kids to choose from. To be recognized by the talented teams we competed against was truly an honor.”
Clark agreed the division was saturated with athletes, making for a “murderer’s row” down the home stretch.
“It’s a big honor in a division that was a tough as ours,” Clark said.
Calhoun City was the only team in 2-4A left standing at North Half and lost to Bassfield Dec. 6 in the State Championship game.
Super 24 Team
Player of the Year
Donta Armstrong, Bruce
Offensive Player of the Year
Jacolbi Heard, Okolona
Defensive Player of the Year
Cartin McBride, Calhoun City
Jordan England, Calhoun City
Tyler Jones, Eupora; Brock Fleming, East Webser
Latrius Powell, East Webster; Tanner Bailey, Calhoun City
Will Bowen, Eupora
Trey Pittman, Eupora
Jay Johnson, Bruce; Dequin Babbitt, Okolona
Levarious Varnado, Calhoun City; McKinley Hollenhead, East Webster
Justin Lewis, Eupora
Jamar Brown, Bruce; Jay Collins, Okolona
Andrikus Ezell, Calhoun City; Frank Elam, Eupora
Pat Gardner, Bruce; Shaquille Wright, Calhoun City
Steele Liles, Calhoun City; John Wofford Williams, East Webser
D.J. Glaspie, Bruce; Brieton Sykes, Calhoun City
Jalen Embry, Eupora
Tyler Cosby, East Webster
All Region First Team
Chakel Gates, Travon Petty, James Hervey, Noah Hill, Keshun Bobo, Clint Wolfe, Chris Easley
Lamonte Salley, Beau Smith, Walter Meek, Jarqes McBride, Tamarus Draine, Javoris Draine
Tabias Campbell, Bailey Nix, Tyler Donavon, Jadarrius Benson, Latrell Marks
Terry Rogers, J.C. Buchanan, Rod Jones, Robert Herron
Deangelo Liggins, Tyler Doss, Colby Williamson
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houlka Cornbread Festival set for Oct. 8 August 17, 2016
- Okolona woman rediscovers her voice August 20, 2016
- MDOT moves forward with Hwy. 15 work August 21, 2016
- JASON BROOKS: CDF thanks picnic area donors August 21, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week August 21, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Crime victims get $3.7 million in compensation August 23, 2016
- Sheriff seeks info in cemetery vandalism August 23, 2016
- Houlka offers dual credit with ICC August 23, 2016
- West Nile case reported in Chickasaw County August 22, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago