Lady Rams win over Houlka
Vardaman’s Shylsses Rimmer tried her best to get her teammates to back off the accelerator Dec. 20.
“Slow it down,” Rimmer called from the floor.
But if anyone heard her, no one heeded the call.
The Lady Rams hosted the Lady Wildcats in an up-tempo game from the first tip to the final buzzer, coming out ahead 57-49, but there were moments for concern for the Vardaman girls.
The Lady Wildcats closed in 24-26 at the half and started out the third quarter with a passing game that evened them up at 26-all. Long passes down court and finding an open shooter paid off for the Lady Cats as they hung in with the Lady Rams through the third with Chianne Edington helping out with back-to-back steals for a hoop and harm.
But the Vardaman girls were determined to press and the Houlka team just couldn’t resist the challenge. Steal after steal led to multiple turnovers in the fourth quarter until Danicqua Stephens hit a trey to give the Lady Rams an edge. Rimmer’s layup added some cushion but the Lady Wildcats didn’t give up. Tyesha Atkinson and Tykeela Cunningham each knocked down a bucket and Cassie Homan hit a trey to keep the Houlka girls in contention, but the Lady Rams maintained their lead with Alaysia Madkins and Rimmer each hitting for two.
Atkinson hit a final trey for Houlka but it was too little, too late as the Lady Rams broke division with a 55-49 win.
Edington led all scoring with 20 points and Rimmer paced the Lady Rams with 19.
Houlka takes district win
On the boy’s side of the court, the Wildcats posted a 68-45 win over the Rams, despite a strong start from the home team. Vardaman led 16-9 after the first quarter, but the Houlka boys kicked things up a notch, posting 26 points in the second and holding their lead through the final buzzer.
Houlka’s Tyreque Reed and Titus White split the lead with 19 points each and Tavis Townsend led the Rams with 15.
Rams fall to Eagles at Loggins
The Rams participated in the Loggins Classic tournament Dec. 21, battling Eupora through four quarters, but taking a 57-52 loss.
Michael McKinney led for Vardaman with 16 points followed by Brandon Walker with 11.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houston Trustees approve $847,000 maintenance project January 12, 2017
- County contemplates paving project January 16, 2017
- NEMCC names honor students January 16, 2017
- JOHN CALVIN: Let’s hope new government will guide us better January 17, 2017
- Orr named Masonic scholar January 17, 2017
- 4-H Promotion Day is Thursday. January 18, 2017
- Chieftains roll Green Wave January 18, 2017
- Houlka sweeps Rams to start division play January 18, 2017
- Okolona man charged in Amory armed robbery January 17, 2017
- Houston truck driver killed in Jackson crash January 17, 2017
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago