Food for Families collects cans for needy
HOUSTON — Two pickup trucks were packed with canned good and non-perishable items last week and delivered to needy families this holiday season.
The Chickasaw County Extension Service partnered with the local Master Gardeners Mississippi Homemaker Volunteers, 4-H Club, Mississippi State University Alumni and WTVA to host Food for Families. Eaton Automotive and Griffin Motors donated the use of pickup trucks for the day to haul the goods.
”I am so thankful and can’t believe the out-pouring of food given by this community,” said Scott Cagle, Chickasaw Extension Service County Agent. ”I want to thank everyone who donated a can or a box of cans. Houston really has shown their holiday spirit this year.”
Cagle said students at Houston Upper Elementary School and Houston Middle School donated more than 1,500 cans of foods. He said this was backed up by donations from local grocery stores and individuals who also bought items in bulk.
“It was a pretty day to collect cans, but it was a little chilly,” said Cagle as he and Master Gardeners volunteers stood at the Master Gardener Park next to City Hall Friday afternoon Dec. 13. A lot of people donated their time as well as their money to make this happen.
Cagle pointed out all food collected in the Houston food drive will be distributed to families in Chickasaw County. Families to receive food have been screened and ranked according to need.
“This was first year for us to pack a pickup,” said Cagle. “Usually we get enough to just help a few families. I have been impressed with how much we have picked up this year.”
He said Chickasaw County Extension is already making plans to do this again next year.
“It’s sad to say but there are a lot of needs in Chickasaw County,” said Cagle. “This food drive will go a long way to meeting some of those needs this Christmas.”
Cagle thanked the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors for helping with labor and distribution. He also thanked WTVA, Chickasaw Development Foundation, WCPC radio and the Chickasaw Journal for helping to promote the event.
“This just goes to show how much we can do if we all work together,” said Margaret Futral, a Master Gardener and CDF volunteer working Thursday’s event. “Houston is a great little town and these kinds of events just makes it better.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago