TUPELO – Vivian Venell “Nell” Mask Henton, 85, died Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center after a brief illness. She was born in the Pontocola community of Pontotoc County on Oct. 27, 1928, to William S. Mask and Lois Dorothy King Mask.
She lived her entire life in this area, where she worked in the childcare industry. Her love of children is legendary as she gave many area children Godly training and proper discipline while taking care of them in daycare.
Ms. Nell was a member of Valley Grove Baptist Church and attended South Green Baptist Church for many years. She loved reading her Bible, being involved in all facets of the Church and listening to ole time Southern Gospel Music. She taught Sunday school and was formerly a Girl Scout leader and school bus driver.
Her crowning joy was her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren, four generations for which she was most proud.
A celebration of life will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31, at Tupelo Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with Bro. Steve Quarles officiating. Burial will follow in Lee Memorial Park. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday and from 10 a.m. until service time Tuesday, all at the Tupelo Chapel.
Survivors include her children, June Smith (Bob) of Mooreville, Gail McCaleb (Jeff), Lori Hoard (Eric) and John Henton Jr., all of Tupelo and Bill Henton (Lesa) of Pontotoc; nine grandchildren, Becky, Seth and Jake Smith, Josh and Luke Pearson, Riley Henton, Lily and Sophie Hoard and Jack Henton; nine great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren; her sister, Lynn Jenkins (Ronnie); brother, Morris Mask, all of Pontotoc; a sister-in-law, Nancy Mask of Pontotoc; a brother-in-law, Wade Plunkett (Joyce) of Okolona; and numerous nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, John Henton Sr., who died Jan. 12, 1992; a granddaughter, Sara Gail Miller; her siblings, Louise May (James), Frances Jaggers, Doris Robinson (Gene), Elain Mask, Howard Mask; and a sister-in-law, Deidra Mask.
Pallbearers will be her grandsons and great-grandsons, Seth, Jake, Brandon and John Caleb Smith, Jack and Riley Henton, Joseph Johnson and Josh and Luke Pearson.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 1 St. Jude Way, Memphis, TN 38105.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago