Youth Council gifts Woodland elderly
WOODLAND – It’s just another reason Woodland is such a neat place to live.
The Woodland Mayor’s Youth Council took the initiative just before Christmas to put together gift boxes for local elderly and shut-ins and then delivered each package with a smile.
“They came up with this all on their own and then put together a plan and made it happen,” said Woodland Mayor Patti Watkins. “I think they showed a lot of initiative and more than that, how much they care for people in this community.”
Watkins said the group baked cookies, rounded up sweets and toiletries and made a day out of it.
“They got together and had a great time,” said Watkins. “I think the part they liked best was visiting with our seniors.
“In Woodland everybody knows everybody and some of our elderly remember when some of our youth council member’s parents were kids,” said Watkins. “Watching these two generations interact was very special.
The village of Woodland formed a Mayor’s Youth Council in March and almost immediately attended the Mississippi Municipal League Statewide Youth Leadership Summit held in Hattiesburg. The Woodland group returned home looking for community service projects.
“We went down there not really knowing what to expect and our kids did a lot of listening,” said Watkins. “But on the ride back home I got to listen to them talk about what they had seen and what they wanted to do in Woodland.”
Watkins said the council tries to do a service project each month.
“They helped put up lights for our annual Christmas lights display, they have worked with our Easter Egg Hunt and they just look for ways to help,” she added.
Watkins said the Woodland Mayor’s Youth Council run their own meetings and elect their own leaders.
Watkins said both Tupelo and Starkville have established youth councils and the Woodland group would probably look at how they are organized and projects they are involved in.
“The kids on our council go to school in Houston, Hebron, East Webster and Houlka but they are all from Woodland,” said Watkins. “They really are a bright bunch of kids and there is no doubt the are going to make something happen.”
For more information on the Woodland Mayor’s Youth Council contact Woodland City Hall at 456-1341.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- FSA offers livestock forage disaster relief October 14, 2016
- AP PREP POLL: Houston ranked No. 2 in 4A, Pontotoc No. 3 October 18, 2016
- Former Miss. state senator Irb Benjamin pleads guilty to bribery October 18, 2016
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- PREP ROUNDUP: Vardaman, Houlka, Louisville, Pontotoc October 19, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago