Dozier headlines ICC Leadoff banquet
Minnesota Twins second baseman Brian Dozier will be the featured guest at the 2014 Itawamba Community College Leadoff Banquet Jan. 31 at the Dr. David C. Cole Student Services Building.
“We are very excited to have Brian be our speaker at this year’s Leadoff Banquet,” said ICC head baseball coach Rick Collier. “He’s a great guy and one of the highest ranked second basemen in the Majors. I know our guys are really excited to hear him talk about what goes on in the MLB.”
The preseason banquet will begin with a silent auction at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 6 p.m. and the start of the program at 6:30 p.m. Individual tickets are $20 and can be purchased by calling Coach Collier at 662-862-8118.
The Fulton native was drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the eighth round of the 2009 MLB Draft out of the University of Southern Mississippi. He was named the 2011 Twins Minor League Player of the Year before being called up in May of 2012.
This past season, he set a club record for home runs by a second baseman with 18, and ranked third among American League second basemen in extra-base hits with 55. Dozier was named the Twins’ 2013 Wilson Defensive Player of the Year.
In his first season as a second baseman, his .992 fielding percentage was tied for fourth among qualified second basemen in the Majors. He also ranked first in assists with 461, third in putouts with 267, and second in double plays turned with 99. He also received the Charles O. Johnson Award given to the team’s Most Improved Player along with the Mike Augustin “Media Good Guy” Award as selected by the Twin Cities chapter of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.
His MLB career totals include: .240 batting average, .297 on-base percentage, .384 slugging percentage, 210 hits, 105 runs, 44 doubles, five triples, 24 home runs, 99 RBI, and 23 stolen bases in 874 at-bats.
During his career at Southern Miss (2006-09), he earned Freshman All-American honors and was selected to the C-USA All-Freshman Team. He hit .355 with 55 doubles, seven triples, and 16 home runs with 152 runs batted in. In 2009, he helped guide the Golden Eagles to the College World Series in his final season in Hattiesburg.
Dozier was a two-time MHSAA All-State selection and was named the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal Player of the Year as a member of the Itawamba AHS baseball team.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Poor graduation rates August 18, 2016
- Houlka aldermen briefed on annexation August 22, 2016
- West Nile case reported in Chickasaw County August 22, 2016
- Houlka offers dual credit with ICC August 23, 2016
- Sheriff seeks info in cemetery vandalism August 23, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- Okolona offense tramples Nettleton August 25, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Calling for help August 25, 2016
- Man arrested on drug charges August 24, 2016
- Associate Degrees awarded at ICC for Spring 2016 August 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago