Not going down without a fight!
The Houston Lady Toppers took their first district loss Jan. 17 but they didn’t go quietly.
The Lady Toppers took it to double-overtime before they conceded the 56-60 loss at home.
Houston trailed by four midway through the third, but worked together to stay positive with Laura Beth Nichols hitting a deuce and dishing to LaShari Free for another. The up-tempo game led to multiple steals from each side.
The Lady Toppers closed the gap in the fourth with Amber Frison’s dish to Teria Crawford and went up one as Free snagged a rebound and Crawford sank it. Leake’s Mia Coleman connected twice from the charity stripe to put the Lady Gators up by a goal, but Nichols hit Frison with a half-court pass which she sent to Free for the tying basket.
Nichols opened the first overtime period with a trey to give the Lady Toppers an edge and they held their advantage through the first three minutes of play but Leake’s Teanna Moore and Alycia Watkins were accurate from the free throw line to tie it up with under a minute to play. Neither team could sink a shot in the final 49 seconds of the period, forcing a second overtime at 54-54.
The Lady Gators grabbed a quick lead off Sharissa Jefferson’s back-to-back goals and Moore’s free throw. Houston’s Ashley Conner closed the gap with two from the line, but the Lady Toppers couldn’t connect enough for the win.
Houston 40, Leake 57
The Houston boys got into a hole in the first half and had trouble digging out the remainder of the game.
Senior Chase Eldridge hit from the post after a head fake and got a putback to help and Jay Jay Jones made his layup good at the end of the second, but the Toppers went into the break down 13-33.
Houston’s Caleb Mogan opened the third with a jumper for a deuce and Javan Farr and Rodger Pratt each made a trey good to help the Toppers close the gap to 14 to end the period.
J.J. Brownlee’s dish to Morgan for a bucket and Jones’ deuce helped pull the Toppers within 12 but that was as close as they would get. The Gators had consistent accuracy as the Toppers struggled at the net and Leake took the district win.
On the floor
The Toppers and Lady Toppers have a busy week, hosting Noxubee County Tuesday and heading to West Lauderdale Friday. They will play in North Pontotoc Saturday and go straight back into division Jan. 28 hosting Caledonia.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- WEDDING: Kelly/Moore February 19, 2017
- Correctional Facility revenue reviewed February 23, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Looking at the future February 23, 2017
- Growing our future with AEST February 23, 2017
- Extension gives out 1,800 trees February 24, 2017
- JUANITA HORSTMAN: No peace or hope without Christ February 26, 2017
- Lady Hilltoppers ready for more February 25, 2017
- MDWFP crappie regulation being enforced February 25, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Hard work, right living equals singing, dancing February 25, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago