LOCAL FOCUS: Washington Oil
Locally owned businesses serv
Washington Oil is a Houlka landmark located at the corner of Main Street and U.S. Highway 32.
Gary Washington has been fixing flats, selling tires and offering oil changes for 14 years and is proud of the customer base he has built and the reputation for good work at a reasonable price.
“I’m a one-person shop and if someone doesn’t like my work, it’s my fault,” said Washington. “I tell my customers if they are not satisfied with my work they need to let me know.”
Washington joked and said being the business secretary, bookkeeper and janitor makes him take a little more pride in his work.
“I know just about everyone that walks in the door and you would be surprised to find out I have people come from Houston, Okolona, Vardaman and Bruce to do business with me,” said Washington. “I always do the best I can and people know it.”
Washington sells all types of tires and a wide variety of brands for both cars and trucks. He offers a broad range of oil filters and sells his oil at competitive rates.
“I just ask people to try me first,” said Washington. “If you can find a better price, maybe you should take it.”
But Washington Oil is also more than just a tire and oil changing station.
“We have the coldest cokes in town and I’ve fixed my icebox to be that way,” said Washington. “We also sell snacks and can be the perfect place to start or end your day.”
And Washington said he has his regular customers who come in every day just to visit.
“People tell me all the time if they want to know if something is true, they come up here and ask me,” said Washington. “We hear it all, forget most of it and try to keep up with who has died, who is selling something and what’s going on in town.
“I love this town and want the best for it and the people in it,” said Washington. “I’m a hometown business and I work hard to keep your business here.”
Local Focus is a regular business feature of the Chickasaw Journal. Locally owned businesses wanting to be included in Local Focus should call the Chickasaw Journal at 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago