Police make arrests in car burglaries
HOUSTON – Two arrests have been made in a series of holiday crimes in Houston.
The Houston Police Department arrested Robert Holmes, Jr., of Webster County, for two auto burglaries, burglary of a commercial building and vandalism. He was placed in the Chickasaw County Jail and later released on bond.
Police have also arrested Eric Hoskins, of Eupora, for a high profile auto burglary where a purse was stolen from the First United Methodist Church parking lot during broad daylight over the Christmas holidays. Hoskins is currently in the Chickasaw County Jail under $5,000 bond.
“We arrested Robert Holmes for the auto burglaries behind Walmart, breaking in Ware Milling and vandalism of school buses,” said Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles. “He and some juveniles were just walking around over the Christmas holidays and started doing this.”
Voyles said police recovered all items stolen in the First United Methodist Church auto burglary except for the victims purse and cell phone.
“We are still following up some leads in these incidents and will be making more arrests if the evidence warrants it,” said Voyles. “I want to thank my officers for good police work and I want to thank the community for their assistance and patience in solving these crimes.”
Clay County burglary
A Houston man has been arrested by Chickasaw County deputies and Houston Police officers on charges stemming from a burglary in Clay County.
“We were called by the Clay County Sheriff’s Department about a burglary at Murray’s Grocery in Clay County and told about a vehicle from Chickasaw County that was spotted in the vicinity at the time of the crime,” said Voyles. “We ran a check and went to the home of DeVonta Bynum and attempted to talk to him.”
Voyles said as Houston Investigator Robert Ivy approached Bynum Sunday afternoon, Bynum fled and ran into the woods. Bynum was later spotted by Chickasaw County Deputy Adam Harmon who also chased the suspect down a road before making the arrest.
Bynum was subdued by tasering.
Bynum was later turned over to the Clay County Sheriff’s Department and has been charged with burglary of a commercial building.
“We are always glad to assist local law enforcement in solving crime,” said Voyles. “There will come a day when we will be asking for their assistance in solving a Houston crime.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago