TEEN PREGNANCY: Numbers, News, Notes
The number of teen births recorded by teens practicing true abstinence.
Mississippi ranked No. 1 and highest in teen births with a rate of 64.2 births per 1000 females
aged 15-19, compared to the national rate of 39.1 births per 1000 U.S. females aged 15-19.
1 in 5
Nearly 1 in 5 births to teen mothers, ages 15 to 19, is a repeat birth.
1 in 100
Implants are the most effective form of birth control but 1 in 100 women annually get pregnant using birth control implants.
15.3-percent of U.S. High school students surveyed in 2011 have reported having sex with four or more people during their life.
About 1 in 5 sexually active teen mothers use the most effective types of birth control after they have given birth.
23 percent of babies born to Mississippi teens are repeat births.
A teenager in the U.S. becomes pregnant about every 26 seconds
28.4-percent of Mississippi middle school students have reported having sexual intercourse
• A teen is most likely to get pregnant between 4 and 6 p.m. on a weekday.
“Sex education may be a good idea in the schools, but I don’t believe the kids should be given homework”
• Each $1 invested in teen pregnancy prevention saves taxpayers an average of $4.34 in the first year and $17.23 over 5 years, a 1,723-percent return on investment.
Places to get information on teen pregnancy.
• www.stayteen.org : The official website for The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.
• www.abstinence.net : The official website for Abstinence Clearinghouse, Sioux Falls, S.D.
• www.thenationalcampaign.org : The official website for The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, Washington, D.C.
• www.cdc.gov/TeenPregnancy : Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA.
• www.teenage-pregnancy.org: Soul Choice International is a not-for-profit 501 (C)(3) educational organization.
• http://msdh.ms.gov/ : Mississippi Department of Health, Jackson, MS
• www.HealthyMS.com : Mississippi Department of Health, Jackson, MS.
• Chickasaw County Health Department, Houston Clinic 332 North Jefferson Street, Houston, MS 38851. PHONE: 662-456-3737.
• Chickasaw County Health Department, Okolona Clinic, 325 West Main Street, Okolona, MS 38860. PHONE: 662-447-5492.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Crosswalks needed February 16, 2017
- Family Resource Center offers services February 20, 2017
- HUES names Students of the Week February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Tidy up the Trail February 22, 2017
- “Dream Big” February 22, 2017
- Chieftains claim District February 22, 2017
- Wildcats roll out of district February 22, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago