Girls Scouts serve
HOUSTON – The Girl Scout motto is “Be Prepared” and the slogan is “Do a good turn daily!” and both were practiced Thursday night at the Houston Fire Department.
Girl Scouts from troops 20101, 20347, 23125 and 23131 fed local firefighters hamburgers with all the fixings, iced tea and dessert to show their appreciation for those who protect their home.
“You get up in the middle of the night and go fight fires and go to car wrecks,” said Maddie King of Troop 20101. “You help sick people get to the hospital, too.
“We just want to say thank you for all you do,” she added. “We decided to serve you supper.”
And with that hardened firefighters looked away and smiled at this simple gesture of kindness.
“Each year we try to do a community service project,” said Daphne King, 20101 Troop Leader. “This was sort of a big job for our girls, so we contacted all the other local troops and got them involved.
Thursday’s meal saw 17 Girl Scouts feed 25 firefighters.
Linda Griffin, Chickasaw County Emergency Management Coordinator and volunteer firefighter, said Thursday’s meal meant a lot to firefighters.
“Our volunteer fire departments are just that and they don’t get paid to roll out of bed at 2 a.m.,” said Griffin. “For these girls to recognize that dedication and offer to feed us meant a lot.”
Griffin also talked to girls about becoming a volunteer firefighter when they get old enough or about looking at a career at a firefighter.
“I would love to see some of you come hang out with us when you get a little older,” said Griffin. “We can carry you on fire calls and see if you really want to do this. It’s a lot of work and you really have to want to do it.”
Local Girl Scout Troops, leaders and where they meet are:
• TROOP 20101: Daphne King, King Cove, Houston
• TROOP 20347: Dianne Wills, Crystal Hamilton and Demetrus Starks, Center Hill Church, Davis Lake Road.
• TROOP 23131: Judy Hood, Old Houlka.
• TROOP 23125:Tanya Lee, Department Store Liquidators, Houston
Girl Scouts USA aims to empower girls and to help teach values such as honesty, fairness, courage, compassion, character, sisterhood, confidence, and citizenship through activities including camping, community service, learning first aid, and earning badges by acquiring practical skills. Girl Scouts’ achievements are recognized through rank advancement and by various special awards such as the Girl Scout Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards.
Local Girl Scouting are part of Girl Scouts Heart of the South encompassing 59 counties in east Arkansas, north Mississippi and west Tennessee. The combined membership is approximately 12,000 girls served with the help of over 3,500 volunteers. The headquarters are located in Memphis, Tennessee, at 717 S. White Station Road.
Girls Scouts is open to girls ages 7 to 17. Girl Scouts was organized in March 2012 and currently has more than 2.2 million members.
To find out more about local Girl Scout troops, visit them online at www.girlscoutshs.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago