EDITORIAL: Public business
Once again the merits of doing public business in public has been put to the test. And those living in the Houston School District have gotten an “A.”
The Houston School District Board of Trustees dismissed their attorney’s earlier this month after they were made aware of some type of alleged conflict of interest involving their lawsuit seeking to fix the roof at the Houston School of Science and Technology.
It seems the district was made aware of this conflict of interest by someone who has kept abreast of the school board’s effort to repair this roof by reading several stories on this issue published in the Chickasaw Journal.
School Board President Bart Munlin said the district did not know about this alleged conflict of interest, did not see how it could of known about this relationship prior to hiring attorney’s to represent the district and that the district responded once it was made aware of the situation.
One of the nice things about living in a small town is people watch out for each other. This is a prime example where concerned citizens saw something that didn’t look right and said something about it.
Small town journalism is not as much about doing exposes on local government as it is about letting the community know what their city aldermen, school boards and county supervisors are doing.
Much of the business about the school’s roof has been done in executive session. You and this newspaper do not know if this current situation could have been fixed earlier.
This newspaper does believe public business should be just that – public.
We beg our elected officials to see the merits of doing city, county and school board business openly, honestly and publically.
We hope our school board will make the names of everyone it hires public so we know if someone with a criminal record is teaching our children. We hope our city boards will make the expenditure of city dollars public so taxpayers can see who is making money on the taxpayer’s dime. We hope county government will keep its legal proceedings open to public eyes so all of Chickasaw County knows the direction it is headed with pending and future lawsuits.
Good people from good communities usually end up doing the right thing when they know the facts and are faced with the truth. And that only happens when public business is made public.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- GWENDOLYN PEARSON: Tourism tax and internet service March 26, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- Okolona excluded from Chickasaw, Houston merger March 28, 2017
- Orientation leaders named March 28, 2017
- POLITICAL ANNOUNCEMENTS March 28, 2017
- Hollenhead named MACJC Player of the Week March 30, 2017
- Supervisors pay to fix Okolona elevator March 30, 2017
- County eyes CCRCF numbers March 30, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Getting ready March 29, 2017
- Houston, Okolona host banquets March 29, 2017
- Patricia Burgess Cossey: This is to address the Tourism Tax. I recently hea...
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago