STARKVILLE – Travis Denton Phillips, 82, died Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014. He was born Feb. 4, 1931, in Calhoun City to the late Paul Travis and Ada Mae McCormick Phillips.
He graduated from John Rundle High School. He received a bachelor’s degree in general agriculture and a master’s in agricultural economics from Mississippi State University. He served in the Army in Korea, where he earned a bronze star. He earned his Ph.D from North Carolina State University. He served on the MSU faculty until his retirement in 1997.
Phillips was nationally recognized for his research in the economics of ornamental horticulture and in grain marketing. At one time, he simultaneously served as chairman of the two regional research projects that extended beyond the South. Phillips taught 17 different courses in the Department of Agricultural Economics, authored or co-authored 112 scientific publications and made approximately 70 presentations.
He is survived by his wife, Carolyn Malone-Phillips, of Starkville; his children, Linda Nell Phillips Schubert of Starkville, Dianne Marie Phillips Pickren (Donnie) of Tuscaloosa, Ala., daughter-in-law Martha Jackson Phillips of Starkville; and the mother of his children Dorothy Nell Pickle Phillips of Starkville; stepchildren, Eugenia Malone Gusler (Chip) of Huntsville, Ala., and Stephanie Malone Ford of Starkville; grandsons: Robert Travis Schubert (Jill), Edwin Travis Phillips, David Jackson Phillips, Stephen Travis Pickren, Joseph Pickren; stepgrandchildren, Lindsay Pickren Colvin (Bobby), Adam Pickren, Nikki Ford, Bo Ford, Taylor Gusler; and one stepgreat-grandchild Juna Leigh Colvin; his brother, William Harrison Phillips (Dorothy); sister, Betty Sue Phillips Sims (Charlie); sister-in-law Sydney Buntin Phillips; and uncle Jesse Pittman Phillips (Jeanette).
He was predeceased by his parents; his son, Travis Denton “”Denny”” Phillips Jr.; sister, Lillian Evelyn Phillips Gray; brother-in-law, Billy Douglas Gray; brother, James Paul Phillips; and son-in-law, Robert Schubert.
Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Welch Funeral Home. Visitation will be 9 until 11 a.m. at the funeral home. Graveside service and Interment will be at Oktibbeha Memorial Gardens.
In lieu of flowers, a donation be made to either the Travis Phillips Endowment with the Mississippi State University Foundation, the CrossPoint Baptist Church building fund, or the National Parkinson Foundation.
You may go online and sign the guest register at: www.welchfuneralhomes.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago