BILLY McCORD: As I see it
I am writing this message on Saturday night, a patient at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. The column will be short this week, because I am scheduled for a procedure to be done on Sunday. I appreciate each and every message I have received from you and always enjoy hearing from you.
According to the weather man another cold blast will reach our area early
this week bringing frigid conditions again. Every spring and summer I hear people remark, “If we had enough cold weather, we would not be bothered with insects.” I hope I do not hear this when warm weather gets here because I will be assured there is some other cause for bugs than the lack of cold weather. We have not received snow, sleet or ice this winter, but we surely have had a lot of very cold weather.
I appreciate the calls and e-mails I received during my last attempted joke. This week someone told me a story that I appreciated.
Three young men were having dinner with their uncle and he announced rather abruptly that he was getting married. The uncle was in his middle eighties, had never been married and his three nephews could not believe what they heard. One of the nephews looked at his uncle and said, “This lady must be the prettiest woman in the world.”
The uncle responded, “No, no she is rather homely,”
The second nephew said, “I know why you are marrying her. I bet she has a pile of money.”
The uncle said, “No son, she is as poor as Old Job’s turkey.”
The third young man said, “Uncle, I bet she is the finest cook you could find anywhere.”
The uncle looked at him and said, “No, in fact she cannot cook. We always have to go out somewhere to eat because she cannot cook a meal.”
The first nephew said, “Well, if she is not the prettiest lady in the world and she has no money and she can’t cook, then please tell us why you
want to marry her.”
The uncle looked at the three nephews and said, “Boys, she is able to drive at night.”
I am happy to announce that I returned home Sunday afternoon and the
report from the doctors was good. Thanks for your concern.
Billy McCord is a retired school administrator and an Elder in the United Methodist Church. He is Pastor of Shady Grove UM Church in Calhoun County. He is a member of the Calhoun County School Board. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Tending to business July 30, 2016
- Praying for peace and unity July 30, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago