Banks shares goals with HHS freshmen
Many high school freshmen are just beginning to think about their futures and the class at Houston High School recently got a few words of encouragement from NFL player Johnthan Banks.
Banks is originally from Maben and graduated East Webster High School. HHS counselor, Susan Allen, invited him to address the class Jan. 28.
“He spoke to the ninth graders.. about what hard work, determination and respect for authority figures can do for a person,” Allen said. “Then he spoke with the football team and baseball team about leadership, working through adversity and the importance of good grades.”
Banks related personal life stories of overcoming hardships and focusing on goals to make the most of life.
“I thought that he could connect with a lot of the students here and they would understand him,” Allen said.
The football coaching staff presented Banks with a T-shirt in appreciation of him visiting the school and helping to motivate students and student athletes.
“The message to the kids was mainly about being a leader no matter what,” said assistant football coach Ty Hardin. “Basically teaching the kids about how being a team is better than playing for yourself.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Learning to smile forever July 19, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago