BETTY ATKINSON: Let’s celebrate America
During February, we have the distinct pleasure to celebrate American History Month.
I am very grateful for America. We are a nation unlike any other, bought by the blood, sweat and tears of our patriot ancestors. We live in a remarkable land that promises all of her citizens life, liberty and the freedom to pursue happiness. We are truly blessed people.
This month, we celebrate the birthday of George Washington who used his commanding presence, integrity and zeal to lead his ragged army to victory. His honesty, courtesy and respect for others led him in his duty during the Revolutionary War and his presidency.
We celebrate the birthday of Abraham Lincoln on February 12. Lincoln used his insight to preserve the Union during the bitter War Between the States. His integrity of character and iron will won a victory to produce the most important democracy in the world.
On February 19, 1945, our Marines landed on Iwo Jima. We celebrate the 69th anniversary of that memorable event this month. We thank God for those men who fought and died that day and for the volunteer Armed Forces who go into harm’s way for us today. They have the same love of country and its freedoms as the leaders of long ago.
Think of how this country began over 200 years ago. King George III was 22 when he took the English throne in 1760. He was very popular at home, but he had never traveled to America and never been a soldier. He had been told of the army in the colonies, described as a bunch of untrained rabble-rousers. I picture the young king as seeing no problem with controlling the American colonists. I can almost see the great astonishment on his face when those rabble-rousers succeeded and established these United States of America.
The echo of history calls to Americans in February as we celebrate American History Month. We reflect this month on those qualities and people which have made us a strong nation. Henry Kissinger said, “History knows no resting places and no plateaus.”
“There is a rank due to the United States among nations, which will be withheld, if not absolutely lost, by reputation of weakness. If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known that we are at all times ready for war.” – George Washington
Betty Atkinson is a resident of Houston and periodically submits a column of general interest for our readers.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houston FFA earns One Star Chapter award November 27, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Are schools worth fighting for? December 4, 2016
- Locals named ICC Foundation scholars December 4, 2016
- DAVID HORN: We the people have voted for change December 4, 2016
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: How to be wise December 4, 2016
- Turman, Archer inducted to Phi Kappa Phi December 3, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago