HOUSTON – Fifty years ago this month a group of concerned women in this community formed a club aimed at making Houston a little better place to live, work and raise a family.
And they haven’t stopped yet.
The Houston Pilot Club celebrated its 50th anniversary Saturday with cake and ceremony, as more than 50 people gathered at Parkway Baptist Church to mark the event.
“This is a big milestone for this club,” said Houston Pilot Club President Beth Harrison. “There are people who have been working through this club to make our world a little better place for years and years. They’ve really accomplished a lot.”
Harrison said the Houston club has a rich heritage and many former members were at Saturday’s event.
“When I think of the Pilots who came before me and gave of their time and money to keep this club club serving Houston I am just astounded,” said Harrison. “I’m not even 50 years old. So many people have done so much for Houston and for Pilot.”
The Houston Pilot Club was chartered on Feb. 27, 1964 with a meeting at the Holiday Terrace. Gertrude Wood was the club’s first president and accepted the charter.
Charter members included Geraldine Allen, Dollie Baker, Mable Cole, Nellie Dendy, Dorothy Dunkin, Jewel Hill, Lorene Huffman, Laverne Johnson, Arline Lewis, Norma McAlpin, Louise Norman, Dorothy Porter, Bobbie Pumphrey, Virginia Rowlett, Ira Mae Verrell, Kathleen Walls, Johnnie Weaver, Ruth Whitt and Gertrude Wood.
Charter members at Saturday’s birthday included Virginia Rowlett and Dorothy Dunkin.
Betty King, former Pilot Club Governor of Louisiana/Mississippi, gave the keynote address. King was also a member of the Tupelo Pilot Club that helped form that Houston chapter in 1964.
“Pilot Club members make things happen,” said King. “They set their mind to accomplishing something and they do it!”
Pilots at Saturday’s birthday included: Sally Beaty, Stacy Chapman, Cara Chisolm, Keri Chisolm, Mary Davis, Bobbie Dulaney, Mabelene Easley, Miriam Garner, Beth Harrison, Talitha Hudson, Rhonda Jolly, Ann Marshal, Kelly McManus, Ann Reese, Dorajean Sanderson, Romona Walls, Deb White, Terry Whitlock and Katylynn Wright.
The Houston Pilot Club meets the first Tuesday night of each month at the Chickasaw County Extension Center.
“We are always looking for new members,” said Harrison. “We urge people to come to a club meeting, look at what we do and who we are.
“If you decide to join,” Harrison added, “we’ll put you to work.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Man falls from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- HISD refines drug testing policy January 20, 2017
- Qualifying begins for city elections January 19, 2017
- Houlka mourns death of former mayor January 19, 2017
- ICC hosts Leadoff Banquet January 19, 2017
- Never to be forgotten January 22, 2017
- WEDDING: Darphin/Brand January 22, 2017
- Area crappie gathering in big schools. January 21, 2017
- TONY COOK: Let’s pray for our schools January 21, 2017
- ICC Fall graduates named January 21, 2017
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago