WEST POINT – John William “Bill” Vest, 93, passed away, on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014, at Mississippi State Veterans Home in Kosciusko. He was born in Stevenson, Ala., to Ella Mae Hart and James Horton Vest Sr. He was a farmer and former service station owner and was a member of the Baptist faith. He was a veteran of the U. S. Army and served during World War II. He was awarded the Silver Star and was a Purple Heart recipient. He married Mildred Lucille Vaughn Vest on March 13, 1948; she preceded him in death on Nov. 25, 1998.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7, at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel in West Point with Dr. James Towery officiating. Burial will follow in Greenwood Cemetery. Calvert Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his three daughters, Cindy Vest Reed, Gay Vest Miller and Kay Vest Kisner (Ronnie); one son, Billy D. Vest (Annette), all of West Point; seven grandchildren, Stephanie Reed Stroud (David), Josh Lee Vest (Brandi), Elizabeth Lucille Hamlin, Graham Walker Hamlin Jr. (Shannon), Mitzi Kay York (Jim), Melanie Powell (Ron Jr.) and Jody Denney; six great-grandchildren; three sisters, Virginia Blankenship Partin of West Point, Christine Henley of West Point and Betty Mooney of Buena Vista, Ark.; and one brother, Bobby Vest of Rutherford, Texas.
He was preceded in death by Lena Mae Walker, Beulah Easter, James Horton Vest Jr., Jim Ed Vest and Arthur Brady “Butch” Vest.
Pallbearers will be Skeeter Smith, David Cox, Bob Lummus, David Stroud, Harry Welch and David Lummus. Honorary pallbearers will be nurses andsStaff of the Mississippi State Veteran’s Home in Koscuisko.
Memorials may be made to American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 8217, Jackson, MS 39284.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- GWENDOLYN PEARSON: Tourism tax and internet service March 26, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- Starkville man killed in shootout after fleeing officers March 27, 2017
- Old Waverly to host Women’s Amateur March 28, 2017
- Okolona excluded from Chickasaw, Houston merger March 28, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Getting ready March 29, 2017
- Houston, Okolona host banquets March 29, 2017
- Rally! Rally! Rally! March 29, 2017
- Wildcats blanked by Smithville March 29, 2017
- Next stop! Final Four in Dallas March 29, 2017
- Patricia Burgess Cossey: This is to address the Tourism Tax. I recently hea...
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago