Hebron heads to tourney
The time for high school basketball district tournaments is closing in and the Eagles and Lady Eagles of Hebron will break the ice this week in Pittsboro.
The Hebron teams closed out their regular seasons on a positive note with the Eagles carrying a 7-1 district record and the Lady Eagles entering tournament at 8-0.
The Lady Eagles participated in the JV tournament, scoring a big 50-8 win over Immanuel Christian to start things off.
“It was the first time we got to play all of our ninth graders together,” said coach Bruce Franks. “They always have to play up so they only get to play two quarters of JV.”
Two quarters was all they needed as they blasted Immanuel 38-0 at the half.
The Lady Eagles set their sites on the championship trophy Friday night and didn’t waste any time securing it with a 32-17 win over Macon Central.
Rebekah Joy Falkner and Holly Hudson split the lead with ten points each and Hudson picked up honors as the tourney MVP.
The varsity will be in tournament in Pittsboro this week. The Lady Eagles will play the winner of Kemper/Immanuel Thursday at 4 p.m. while the boys will play Kemper at 5:30 p.m. Varsity tourney is held in Pittsboro at Calhoun Academy.
MHSAA tournament sites set
Tournaments are set for local public schools to begin the week of Feb. 17.
The East Webster Wolverines and Lady Wolverines will host district 4-2A tournament where they will try to extend into post-season play, but they still have a few games to go on the regular season.
The Lady Wolverines picked up a district win over Eupora Jan. 28 by a margin of 66-37 and shut down Tupelo Christian Pre, 45-20 on Jan. 31. They fell to Belmont, 34-55, in the Robertson’s tourney over the weekend.
The Okolona Chieftains and Lady Chieftains will participate in the district tournament at East Webster, but will have to face the Wolves and Lady Wolves in a final district match Feb. 11 in Okolona.
4-1A at Smithville
The Rams and Lady Rams won’t have to travel too far for district tournament as they will head to Smithville. The Lady Rams claimed the top tourney seed, posting a 5-0 divison record.
Toppers, Lady Toppers take a road trip
The Houston teams will have the furthest to travel as 4-4A tournament will be held at Leake Central in Carthage.
With ten division games on the schedule this year, Houston has a full week of play before tournament begins.
Both Houston teams fell to Leake Central Jan. 31, the loss putting the Lady Toppers at 5-2 in district play.
The Toppers and Lady Topper still face Kocisusko Feb. 4, West Lauderdale Feb. 7 and Noxubee County Feb. 11 before tournament seedings will be avaiable.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Coaching the game he loves March 19, 2017
- McQuary throws in SEC tilt March 22, 2017
- Two arrested, charged in Clay County murders March 22, 2017
- NMMC offers weight loss for state employees March 22, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- DAR honors two with history awards March 26, 2017
- Ribbon Cutting; Ava Michaels Boutique March 25, 2017
- Medical care answers for America March 25, 2017
- Truck recovered in Pontotoc March 24, 2017
- Manufacturing skills class offered March 24, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago