Police make arrests in Okolona shooting
OKOLONA – Authorities have arrested five people and their investigation continues into a Friday night shooting Jan. 31 in Okolona where more than a dozen shots were fired.
The shooting sent two people to the hospital, one a 14-year-old boys with a bullet wound to the head, was transported to LeBonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis and he was listed in stable condition today.
“The incident occurred on Jefferson Street in eastern Okolona and apparently stemmed from an altercation earlier in the day,” said Okolona Assistant Police Chief Dwight Parker. “The two groups apparently got together about 11:30 that night and what began as a domestic disturbance became a shooting.”
Parker said police believe between 15 and 20 shots were fired in the altercation that occurred in the front yard.
Parker said Leonard Ray Darden, 32, of Okolona, and Archie Darden, 26, of Okolona, have both been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Christoper L. McIntosh, 22, of Okolona, has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. They are currently in the Chickasaw County Jail under no bond.
Parker said Rayfer Darden, 60, of Okolona, and Stephanie Darden, age unknown, of Okolona, have been charged with child neglect in connection with the case.
A handgun has been recovered and Parker said police are looking for other weapons.
“Anytime you have a shooting it is very serious and the number of shots fired in a city neighborhood makes this even more serious,” said Parker. “I would like to thank the community for helping us identify those involved in this shooting and in helping us make these arrests.”
The night of the shooting a man was transported to the Tupelo Medical Center by ambulance with a gunshot wound to the leg. The 14-year-old was airlifted to LeBonheur. Parker said a third gunshot victim was later identified and is being treated for a gunshot wound to the foot.
“We are still investigating this situation and do expect more arrests,” said Parker.
Parker said the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department also responded to the shooting and has been actively involved in the investigation.
Anyone with details about this case is being asked to call the Okolona Police Department at 447-5427 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-773-TIPS (8477). Calls to CrimeStoppers that leads to an arrest can prompt a cash reward.
- Castle doctrine: Should owning property really give someone the right to kill?
- Okolona increases police chief’s pay
- Rash Recent Shootings Reopen Debate Gun Laws
- Teens arrested after holding up Okolona gas station
- Mother, son found shot to death in Oxford
- Police are searching for a man in connection with a Ventura shooting
- Okolona celebrates MLK Day
- Houston wants to renegotiate 911 contract
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- TOPPER PRIDE: Houston High School PTO forms, host fundraiser. November 25, 2016
- Egg Bowl notebook 2016 November 30, 2016
- Houlka leaning on veteran leadership November 30, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- Community gives thanks December 1, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago