The Lady Eagles dominated, while the Eagles had to battle back, but both teams came out of district tournament and are headed into the first round of North Central playoffs this week.
Lady Eagles fly through district
The Hebron girls came off a JV district championship last week and carried their momentum into varsity tournament, letting no one stand in their way of a title.
Coach Bruce Franks said his young team played above their years.
“I think they saw just how good they really could be,” Franks said. “They got pressed a little and had to recover. They weren’t shooting well and had to work through that and they weren’t making free throws and they had to work through that.”
The work paid off as the Lady Eagles blasted Kemper County, 56-21, in their first game and followed up with a 61-36 win over Central Academy for the district championship.
In the Kemper game, Victoria Hudson led for the Lady Eagles with 14 points while Holly Hudson, Mille Hudson and Brooke Griffin all scored ten each.
In the championship game, Rebekah Joy Falkner and H. Hudson split the lead with 15 each, followed by Alaina Hill with 13 and Ferguson with ten.
“They made improvements through each game and that’s what you’ve got to have,” Franks said.
The boys struggled in tournament, falling to Kemper, 54-65, in their first game, but staged their comeback in the consolation round, downing the hosting Cougars 73-29.
“We had a thorough practice and went back and made some corrections,” Franks said.
Channing Tapley led for the Eagles in their first game with 20 points, followed by Landon Hill with 15 and Clay Faulkner with ten.
In the win over Calhoun Academy, all 12 team members played and nine put points on the board. Leading for Hebron was Hill with 24, followed by Hayden Carty and Collin Moore with 11 each and Faulkner with ten.
“They haven’t really played like I know they can, but I think they got a glimpse of what they can do,” Franks said.
On to playoffs
The girls will open on the playoff road Thursday at 4 p.m. against Humphreys Academy and the boys will follow with Central Holmes at 5:15 p.m.
“They put them out last year, so there will be a revenge factor there,” Franks said of the boy’s game.
North Central Division A tournament will be held at Benton Academy in Yazoo County.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Tending to business July 30, 2016
- Praying for peace and unity July 30, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago