Burdine signs with Mississippi Delta
Senior Austin Burdine led off the signing season for Houston High School Feb. 4 as he inked his letter of intent to play baseball for Mississippi Delta Community College.
Delta coach Michael Avalon said he is looking foward to Burdine joining the Trojans on the diamond next season.
“Throughout the recruiting process, we look for a few simple, yet important, constants,” Avalon said. “Good players who are good people that are willing to work hard, Austin exemplifies all of these charateristics.”
Burdine has been a constant on the Hilltopper diamond since junior high and made a brief return to the football field in the fall of 2013.
“He walks out there for only the spring and one week of fall practice and was one of the best players at a couple of positions,” said Houston coach Scott Gann. “He then tore his ACL, but has absolutely worked his tail off to get back healthy.”
“The determination and hard work that he put in to return from the unfortunate knee injury is quite impressive,” agreed Avalon.
Gann said Burdine has led not only in game statistics, including hits, runs, RBI, batting average and on-base percentage, but off the field as well.
“Austin is a leader by example,” Gann said. “Hopefully all of that will carry over to this (senior) season.”
He also begins his final season for the Hilltoppers carrying a 3.8 GPA.
Avalon is looking forward to Burdine joining the Trojans for the 2014-15 academic year and baseball season.
“We look for Austin to come in and compete for a spot in the outfield and also on the mound,” Avalon said. “Not a lot of guys are able to contribute as a dual athlete in college, but we believe Austin has the potential.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best July 18, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago