Working out the kinks
All local public schools are getting set for district basketball tournaments and Vardaman coach Deanna Winter has her Lady Rams sharpening their skills.
The Vardaman girls wrapped up the regular season as the top seed for tournament, but saved some tough competition for their final week. The Lady Rams fell to West Union Feb. 4 but rallied for a 71-70 win over Hatley Feb. 7.
“We played terrible at West Union,” Winter said. “We started slow with Hatley but played real hard in the fourth quarter. Definitely playing the best competition in these last two weeks and hoping that it will help us going into tournament.”
Winter said her team is healthy and ready to go but her biggest issue is consistency on the floor.
“Our main struggle now is playing four quarters,” Winter said.
Lady Chiefs plagued with injuries
The Lady Chieftains haven’t put all five of their starters on the floor at the same time for several weeks now. The team has been battling various injuries but coach Arteria Clifton said he’s pretty close to having a full roster for tournament.
“I’ve been dressing eight, with two eighth-graders,” Clifton said of his recent games. “We’re close to getting everyone back now.”
On the boy’s side of the court, Clifton said consistency will be the key to the Chieftains success in tournament.
The Chieftains were scheduled to host East Webster in their final division game Tuesday. If cancelled by weather, the game will be played Thursday.
Okolona will see more of East Webster as the Wolverines will host district tournament beginning Feb. 17.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Please clean up the Carnegie Library July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago