Learn not to burn
HOUSTON – During cold weather, the goal for many people it simply to stay warm. But without safety and caution, heat can too often turn into fire.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, an estiamted 900 portable heater fires are reported to fire departments each year and are the cause of 70 deaths, 150 injuries and $53 million in property damage. And portable heaters are involved in 45 percent of all fatal heating fires in homes each year.
But portable heaters are still used by many, either as a sole heating source or in addition to other heating sources.
“Often times people are trying any way they can think of just to stay warm,” said County Fire Coordinator Jonathan Blankenship.
There are several tips and procedures that can reduce the risk of fire from portable heat sources.
n Clear a space of no less than three feet around space heaters
n Keep all items away from heaters
n Use heaters that are listed and approved by a testing laboratory
n Use heaters that are equipped with tilt-over protection
n Check cords for signs of wear; use only heaters with cords in good condition
n Space heaters are not designed to heat homes, only small spaces for short periods of time
The most important rule of thumb to follow is to stay with the heater at all times while it is in use. Heaters should be turned off when a user leaves the room and at night while home residents are sleeping.
Blankenship said that unsafe use of heaters can have much worse effects that the cold.
“It is said that personal belongings can be replaced, but that is not true,” Blankenship said. “So many things are lost forever in a fire, like pictures for example. It is very heartbreaking to see a family lose their homes, possessions and, even worse, a family member. Seeing a family go through that kind of loss is tough.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Getting a good start at school July 24, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago