COLUMBUS – Holly Kelly Reifers Curtis, 87, died Friday, Feb. 14, 2014, at Aurora Health and Rehabilitation. Born on Feb. 28, 1926, she was a daughter of William Floyd and Elizabeth Rimmer Kelly.
She went to Nursing School at Houston Hospital and received her LPN degree after graduating and passing her state board. At age 45, she got her driver’s license when her son, Robert, was 15. She worked at Gilmore Memorial Hospital for 16 years on the 3–11 p.m. shift at what used to be South station before retiring. Always a nurse at heart, she cared for her neighbors who could not leave their houses, now called homebound care.
For many years, she and her husband, Benny, delivered Meals on Wheels to the homebound until their health failed. She was proud of having perfect attendance in Sunday school at Cason Baptist for 16 years until her health would not allow her to leave her home. She enjoyed going back to school to further her education in nursing, her grandchildren, cooking, yard work, watching hummingbirds, watching her flowers bloom, Elvis and gospel music and Jimmy Swaggert.
A celebration of life service will be at 11 a.m. Monday, Feb. 17, at E.E. Pickle Funeral Home with Bro. Roy McHenry officiating. Burial will follow in East Chickasaw Memorial Gardens of Okolona.
She is survived by a sister, Bobbie Hall of Okolona; children, James “Jimmy” Reifers Jr. (Deedee) of Pontotoc, Ann Reifers Cheney of Smithville, Richard Russell Reifers of Bowling Green, Ky., Robert Timothy Reifers (Brenda) of Arlington, Tenn. and Teresa “Terri” Lynn Reifers Harlan (Eric) of New Hope; grandchildren, Jamie Reifers, JR Winters, Mikie Reifers, Wendy Morris, Johnny Cheney (Kim), John Box (Missy), Vince Cheney, Amanda Morris, Bethany Reifers, Barbara Ann Cheney, Leighann Holifield (Joey), and Thomas Hall (Sheena); 20 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husbands, James Herman Reifers in 1972 and Benjamin Leslie “Benny” Curtis, whom she married on Oct. 24, 1976, on March 3, 2013; a grandson, Kelly Randall (Randy) Cheney; and great-grandchildren, Lindsey and
Krisi Morris and Eddie Vincent Cheney.
Pallbearers will be her grandchildren.
Honorary pallbearers will be her nieces and nephews, Staff of Aurora Health and Rehab, and Gladys Martin.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the funeral home.
Memories and condolences may be shared with the family at eepicklefuneralhome.com. –
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka to take bids for new school August 19, 2016
- Crime victims get $3.7 million in compensation August 23, 2016
- Okolona man in custody after high speed chase August 23, 2016
- Houlka buys body cams for PD August 24, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers down East Webster, 2-1 August 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Lady Hilltoppers struggle at plate August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago