fter a strong start in district play, the Lady Toppers struggled with shooting and injuries in the latter part of the season, finishing 5-5 in district headed into tournament.
However, as the coaches in the region decided to double up on district games, they have more knowledge of the teams they face and experience against them on the floor.
“After playing each team twice, the Lady Toppers have a good idea of what is needed to win,” said coach Vernessa Gates. “Hopefully (we) will have all of our injured players back and ready to contribute to the team’s success.”
The Houston girls finished up the regular season with a district loss to Noxbuee County Feb. 11 and a non-division loss to Calhoun City Feb. 14, but tournament begins a new day.
The Lady Toppers were set to start in their bracket Tuesday and hope to work their way through the “win-or-go-home” schedule and still be standing Friday for the championship round.
“At this point, every player that the Lady Toppers need to make it to the next level, they have on their roster,” Gates said.
The Toppers struggled throughout the division schedule and were also set to begin play on Tuesday. They dropped their final two regular season games to Noxubee County and Calhoun City.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- County ponders TRPDD alliance February 20, 2017
- Growing our future with AEST February 23, 2017
- Extension gives out 1,800 trees February 24, 2017
- Vardaman hunter bags banded duck February 24, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Building a future with CET February 26, 2017
- WEDDING: Horn/Lluy February 26, 2017
- JUANITA HORSTMAN: No peace or hope without Christ February 26, 2017
- Lady Hilltoppers ready for more February 25, 2017
- MDWFP crappie regulation being enforced February 25, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago