It’s the little things
Valentine’s Day 2014 has come and gone around the old Voyles house. Our humble abode was not bombarded with hearts, flowers and candy – again.
But I’m not complaining. Really, it’s ok.
I’ve got a box full of hearts and handmade valentines my son made for me during his elementary school years that still touch my heart. At 14, he’s too young to have a “real job” and he doesn’t get paid for chores around the house because he lives here too and I expect him to work for his keep. I feed and clothe him and that should take care of his salary in my book.
And as lazy as I’ve been all winter, chocolate is absolutely the last thing I need.
The things I did get may not seem in keeping with the holiday of love but they felt like it to me.
My television died so I bought a replacement. My son hooked it all up, programmed it and, very patiently, showed me how to work the remote.
Our mailbox was just about to fall off the post and the rain and ice has kept him from fixing it but Saturday was the perfect time. It now has four new screws and is solidly on its foundation.
Our toilet seat wiggled and was driving me insane. Not anymore. We have a brand new seat, secure and stationary.
All little things, I know, but not one I could – or would – do for myself.
No, it’s not all hearts and roses at our house. But I wouldn’t trade my Valentine’s gifts for anything.
Lisa Voyles is Managing Editor/Sports for the Chickasaw Journal. She can be reached at 456-3771 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- One county courthouse discussed in Okolona October 17, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- What color is homelessness? October 22, 2016
- Houston seeks to improve attendance October 24, 2016
- BREAST CANCER: Know your foe October 24, 2016
- Find a lump? Find out what it is! October 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Lawmakers “examine” MAEP funding October 23, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago