Wildcats want rematch with Pirates
The Wildcats wrapped up the regular season Feb. 14 in non-divison play against Pontotoc, taking a 56-64 loss, but getting in some good practice for the upcoming district tournament.
The 1A Wildcats put up a good fight against the 4A Warriors, trailing by only four at the break.
“They played pretty good,” said coach Jimmy Guy McDonald. “We had some obstacles we couldn’t overcome and we hurt ourselves missing free throws, but I thought we adjusted pretty good during the game.”
The caliber of competition can’t be discounted either.
“Pontotoc is a very powerful, 4A team,” McDonald said. “They should make some noise in their tournament.”
Heading into district tourney in Smithville, the Wildcats at 3-2 in district play got the bye until Thursday and will play the winner of Smithville/Hamilton, both teams they beat during the regular season. A win on Thursday will set them up against the top tourney seed, Coffeeville.
The Pirates (22-4, 5-0) won over Houlka Feb. 11 and the Wildcats know exactly what kind of force they’ll be up against.
“They are very strong,” McDonald said. “Pretty powerful and a lot of athletes. We didn’t have a good first half when we played them. We had a good start to the second half, we just weren’t quite as quick as they are.”
The Wildcats will play at 8:30 p.m. Thursday, working toward a rematch with the Pirates in the championship game Friday.
Lady Cats hit the court Tuesday
The Houlka girls were scheduled to take on the Smithville Lady Seminoles Tuesday in their first game of touranment.
The Lady Wildcats came off a 53-67 loss to Coffeeville in their final division game prior to tournament.
“Our girls competed pretty well with them,” McDonald said.
Updates from the district tournament will be published in the next edition of the Chickasaw Journal.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- ICC concert choir performs Monday October 16, 2016
- Calhoun County man dies after Tuesday night shooting October 19, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Demanding excellence October 20, 2016
- Fall Fun and Games Day is Friday October 20, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Houlka hosts senior assembly October 22, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Scores October 22, 2016
- What color is homelessness? October 22, 2016
- POLICE ROUNDUP: Charges upgraded following fatal accident October 21, 2016
- WEEK 10: High School Football Previews October 21, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago