Windy weather headed our way today
TUPELO – Northeast Mississippi and the rest of the Mid-South are under a wind advisory from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today ahead of a cold front that should move through the region this afternoon or evening.
While strong southerly winds are expected throughout the day, the damaging winds will be along a squall line that accompanies the cold front. Sustained winds of 25 miles per hour are expected, with gusts as high as 45 miles per hour.
“The primary threat with this system will be damaging winds,” said Zack Maye, a National Weather Service forecaster in Memphis. “It’ll be coming through Tupelo in the early evening hours – about 7 to 8 p.m., likely.”
Severe thunderstorms also are possible along and ahead of the cold front. Forecasters have identified an area stretching from near the Gulf Coast to the Ohio Valley where the chance of severe weather for any given location is around 30 percent.
“We don’t have so much instability that … everybody will see severe weather,” said NWS forecaster Benjamin Schott.
Tornadoes are only a slight possibility with this storm system, Maye said.
“Anytime you’re talking about severe thunderstorms, tornadoes are possible,” he said. “That’s a small chance this time. It’s not going to be any great tornado outbreak.”
- Is Fear of Lightning Normal?
- Squall line forecast for Thursday night could bring tornadoes, 70 mph winds
- Severe Weather Outbreak, Including a Tornado Threat, Begins Thursday In the Ohio Valley, Southeast
- Thursday Evening Storms
- Why the flawed forecast?
- #DEVELOPING #SEVERE WEATHER EXPECTED IN NW AND WEST #GA TONIGHT INTO FRI AM #gawx #atlweather
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Errol Castens
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Real men rise above the status quo July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago