VOTECH: More than classroom education
OKOLONA – In addition to hands-on skilled and technical training, the Okolona Vocational Center offers students an extra opportunity to interact with community members.
During the first semester, students participated in a safety awareness program. Members of the Okolona Fire Department visited the complex to demonstrate the propler use of fire extinguishers by creating a small, controlled fire and allowing students to practice putting it out. A representative of Farm Bureau Insurance also brought a slide show of the effects of not following safety rules.
In October, OVC held the annual College and Career day with representatives of local, area and outside businesses setting up boths to provide employment information to students.
Also in October, OVC students participated in the annual Pre-school Fall Festival. Hosted by Annie Gates, children from local daycare centers were invited to the complex for storytelling, games, and activties. OVC students assisted with the festival.
OVC students also participated in a bullying awareness event during the fall semester.
- iPads donated to OVC students
- Re-enactors mark 150th anniversary of Battle of Okolona
- Five charged in connection with Friday shooting
- Battle of Okolona re-enactment coming Feb. 22
- Four charged in connection with Friday shooting
- Houston wants to renegotiate 911 contract
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago