Happy Birthday Miss Zula
HOUSTON – She may not be Mississippi’s oldest resident, but she holds the record in Chickasaw County.
Zula Warnick celebrated her 108th birthday Sunday and was treated to a party on Valentine’s Day that saw Houston Mayor Stacey Parker present her with a special proclamation, a box of chocolates and 11 roses.
“You may be asking why we didn’t get 12, Miss Zula,” said Parker. “It’s because you are the 12th rose in Houston today.”
Warnick thanked the mayor and those gathered. She smiled for the camera and talked with family and friends.
“I was the only girl in our family and I had to be strong,” said Warnick. “I learned to do everything on a farm.”
Warnick attributed her rural lifestyle, lots of friends and eating right to her long life.
“I did ask for lemon drop candy,” said Warnick. “I have always liked lemon drops ever since I was a girl. And that was a long time ago.”
Warnick was born Feb. 16, 1906 near Macedonia. She worked at the Ammunition Plant in Prairie in the 1940s and later for Rice Stix as a seamstress.
She said she remembers seeing her first car, her first light bulb and her first airplane. She said she still read her Bible and loves to sing.
“She get tired a little quicker than she used to,” said her nephew, James Criddle. “We were playing dominoes the other day and after she beat me four out of five games she said she was tired. She told me I could come back next week and she would beat me some more.”
Staff at Floyd-Dyer Manor said Warnick’s attitude was part of her strength.
“She is a lot of fun to be around and she asks a lot of questions,” said Nurse Hope Tucker. “She really is a beautiful person and means so much to us and to people in Houston.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC offers manufacturing program July 20, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago