Garner selected as State Champ
Houston High School FFA member, Sandy Garner, was selected as the State Champion Dairy Handler at the first annual Mississippi FFA State Dairy Handlers event held at the Dixie National Livestock Show Feb. 1 in Jackson.
Garner will represent Houston FFA at the 87th National FFA Convention in Louisville, Ken., in October. During the National Dairy Handlers event, Garner will have to show a dairy cow and will be scored on control of animal, poise and calmness during the handling of the animal and demonstrate setting up the assigned animal to its best advantage, maintaining the animal in its most advantageous pose, effectively restraining, as well as avoiding exciting the assigned animal and moving the animal as requested by the ringmaster.
The Dairy Handlers Activity is one of 25 national Career Development Events (CDEs), covering job skills in everything from communications to mechanics. Individuals handle the cattle used for selection in the dairy cattle evaluation and management CDE. Handlers demonstrate their showmanship abilities and are awarded medals during the awards banquet held annually. CDEs help students develop the abilities to think critically, communicate clearly, and perform effectively in a competitive job market.
The National FFA Organization provides leadership, personal growth and career success training through agricultural education to 557,318 student members in grades seven through 12 who belong to one of 7,498 local FFA chapters throughout the U.S., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago