Winter weather heads our way
Freezing temperatures and precipitation will be moving down over Oxford and Tupelo a little after midnight with a 100 percent chance of rain, according to the National Weather Service.
The NWS expects less than a quarter inch of freezing rain and sleet accumulation, but has issued a winter weather advisory for Tishomingo, Prentiss, Pontotoc, Lee, Itawamba, Tallahatchie, Yalobusha, Calhoun, Chickasaw, and Monroe counties. Precipitation is expected to lift out of the area around 6 a.m., but temperatures are expected to hit below the freezing mark.
Mississippi Highway Patrol is preparing for the weather and has urged caution to those getting out on the roads.
Mississippi Department of Transportation put out the following release:
ABUNDANT MOISTURE FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO WILL INTERACT WITH BITTER COLD ARCTIC AIR MOVING INTO THE MIDSOUTH TODAY AND TONIGHT. SUBFREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL MOVE FROM FAR NORTHEAST ARKANSAS THIS MORNING TO THE INTERSTATE 40 CORRIDOR BY 3 PM TO 4 PM AND A CLARKSDALE MISSISSIPPI TO SAVANNAH TENNESSEE LINE BY 9 PM. DURING THE OVERNIGHT THE FREEZING LINE SHOULD EXTEND ALONG THE NATCHEZ TRACE PARKWAY AT 3 AM MONDAY. THE FREEZING LINE WILL DROP THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI BY SUNRISE MONDAY. CONTINUOUS LIGHT TO MODERATE FREEZING RAIN WILL OCCUR TODAY BEHIND THE FRONT ALONG WITH PERIODS OF SLEET WHERE THUNDER OCCURS. THE LATE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT WILL SEE SLEET MIXING WITH FREEZING RAIN OVER NORTH MISSISSIPPI WEST TENNESSEE AND EAST CENTRAL ARKANSAS. FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET MAY CAUSE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.
Sunday, Mar. 02, 2014 5:03 AM – Monday, Mar. 03, 2014 6:00 AM
Counties Affected: Calhoun, Chickasaw, Itawamba, Lee, Monroe, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Tallahatchie, Tishomingo, Yalobusha
- Bitter Cold Temperatures Causing Frozen Pipes
- Snow proves scarce in region
- SCHOOL CLOSINGS: Houston, Okolona, Houlka, Hebron closed
- Winter storm warning issued for region
- Winter weather heading for the area
- Sleet slows travel in and out of North Texas
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Samford names Herrod to Dean’s List July 20, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago