HLES: Responsible, Respectful, Ready
HOUSTON – The American flag flies high at Houston Lower Elementary School every day, thanks to four second-grade students.
“They do it every, single day,” said counselor Crystel Ellison. “They take care of putting the flag up and taking it down and they are so responsible about it.”
The daily ceremony originated with Principal Robert Winter and second grade teacher, Danyelle Sterkel, was tasked with selecting the students to perform the ceremony.
“We chose four students that showed good citizenship qualities based on the ‘3 R’s’ at our school: Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Ready,” Sterkel said. “Now that we realize that they are indeed responsible enough to handle this job, we will soon be rotating the responsibility based on students who display the qualities.”
Sterkel said the flag ceremony has been and can continue to be incorporated into the overall elementary curriculum.
“We have previously taught lessons in Social Studies on how to be good citizens and currently are teaching a unit on our local and state governemnt,” Sterkel said. “So we plan to tie those charateristics of showing good citizenship into how we choose our flag boys or girls.”
The flag is raised each school day before classes begin and lowered at end of day.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- WEDDING: Kelly/Moore February 19, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Tidy up the Trail February 22, 2017
- Correctional Facility revenue reviewed February 23, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Looking at the future February 23, 2017
- Growing our future with AEST February 23, 2017
- Lady Hilltoppers ready for more February 25, 2017
- MDWFP crappie regulation being enforced February 25, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Hard work, right living equals singing, dancing February 25, 2017
- A Day Without Immigrants felt in Vardaman February 25, 2017
- Hilltoppers are ready to roll February 24, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago