HLES: Responsible, Respectful, Ready
HOUSTON – The American flag flies high at Houston Lower Elementary School every day, thanks to four second-grade students.
“They do it every, single day,” said counselor Crystel Ellison. “They take care of putting the flag up and taking it down and they are so responsible about it.”
The daily ceremony originated with Principal Robert Winter and second grade teacher, Danyelle Sterkel, was tasked with selecting the students to perform the ceremony.
“We chose four students that showed good citizenship qualities based on the ‘3 R’s’ at our school: Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be Ready,” Sterkel said. “Now that we realize that they are indeed responsible enough to handle this job, we will soon be rotating the responsibility based on students who display the qualities.”
Sterkel said the flag ceremony has been and can continue to be incorporated into the overall elementary curriculum.
“We have previously taught lessons in Social Studies on how to be good citizens and currently are teaching a unit on our local and state governemnt,” Sterkel said. “So we plan to tie those charateristics of showing good citizenship into how we choose our flag boys or girls.”
The flag is raised each school day before classes begin and lowered at end of day.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- FSA offers livestock forage disaster relief October 14, 2016
- McQuary shines in Maroon and Gray scrimmage October 18, 2016
- AP PREP POLL: Houston ranked No. 2 in 4A, Pontotoc No. 3 October 18, 2016
- Former Miss. state senator Irb Benjamin pleads guilty to bribery October 18, 2016
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- Pilot Club to host pageant October 21, 2016
- Houlka reviews preliminary test scores October 21, 2016
- Number 8! October 20, 2016
- Fall Fun and Games Day is Friday October 20, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Demanding excellence October 20, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago