Lady Toppers win in tourney
Houston coach Jeffery Mann had some spots to fill on the fast pitch field this spring, but Saturday’s wins saw them covered pretty well.
“I lost both pitchers and my catcher off last year’s team, so we are young in that department as far as experience,” Mann said. “Madeline Burdine and Taylor Lancaster have stepped in and did a great job pitching to start off the year. M.K. Sullivan has taken over duties behind the plate and does a solid job.”
The Lady Toppers trailed the Lady Rams, 1-2, after two inning in their first game Saturday, but the third inning put them back on track.
Josie Anderson and Chelsea Gates both reached safely on bunts with Gates moving Anderson to third and stealing second on Chelsea Robinson’s at-bat. Anderson scored on a pass ball and Sullivan scored Gates on a sacrifice fly. Talaja Echoles didn’t quite get her signature homer, but her triple off the centerfield fence scored Sullivan and Burdine’s sac bunt sent her home with a 5-2 lead for the Houston girls.
The Lady Toppers went on to take a 7-2 win over Vardaman and shutout West Point, 14-0.
“We’ve gotten off to a good start,” Mann said. “Our defense has had a good start to the year. It’ll take time to figure out what works best for us. Chelsea Gates and Talaja Echoles lead us on the offensive and defensive side of things. Everyone feeds off them and I need them to have a good year and show some junior and senior leadership.”
The Lady Toppers were scheduled to host Amory Monday, weather permitting, and will head to East Webster Thursday as the 2013 4A State runners-up will take on last year’s 2A State champions.
“Tough matchup,” said Mann.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona battles but nipped by Wolverines October 19, 2016
- BIRTH: Kinsely Brooke Dodd October 23, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Lawmakers “examine” MAEP funding October 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: The killing of public education October 23, 2016
- Find a lump? Find out what it is! October 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers close successful season October 26, 2016
- Toppers ready for Noxubee October 25, 2016
- AP POLL: Mississippi High School Football Rankings, Oct. 25 October 25, 2016
- Collision kills two near Vardaman October 25, 2016
- MSU names Summer 2016 graduates October 25, 2016
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago