Reservior fishing predictions
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) fisheries biologists predict fishing success in 2014 on Arkabutla, Sardis, Enid and Grenada Lakes.
MDWFP sampling showed good spawns of sport and forage fish on all lakes. Largemouth Bass and Bluegill were most numerous at Arkabutla Lake where bass numbers were 22 times higher and Bluegill numbers were eight times higher compared to 2012. Although bass and Bluegill numbers did not rise as much at Enid, Sardis and Grenada Lakes, improved fishing for these species is expected.
The big 2009 White Crappie year class will comprise most of the angler harvest at Enid, Sardis and Grenada Lakes. The weaker spawns in 2010 and 2011 will mean fewer crappie from 10 to 12 inches at these lakes. It is anticipated that good spawns in 2012 and 2013 will increase populations if normal or higher water levels are maintained.
A huge black crappie spawn at Arkabutla Lake occurred last spring. The growth of these fish has been exceptional because of a massive shad spawn and many of the crappie are already legal size.
Blue Catfish from 20 to 35 pounds were common at Sardis Lake. Fishing with whole shad on heavy tackle with a big circle hook is the best method to catch these trophies. Trotlines, jugs, noodles and hand-grabbling are also popular fishing methods for catfish.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago