Tourney time in Tater town
The Lady Rams got their season started against some tough competition in the Houston and East Webster tournaments but came out on top in their own tourney during Spring break.
The Lady Rams hosted Calhoun City in a double-header to close out their tournament March 13 and didn’t waste time getting on the board.
To start the first inning, the top of the batting order, Laci Jo Fugett, Laken Lucius, Chyenne McKiney and Sydney Huffman, all singled with Huffman sending Fugett over the plate for the first run of the game. Anna Beth Lucius walked on and Grace Edmondson singled to keep the runners moving and the Lady Rams capitalized on two pass balls that put them at an early 6-0 lead.
In the bottom of the frame, Edmondson got a strike-out and her infield backed her up with two groundouts to keep the Lady Wildcats off the board.
The hitting frenzy continued in the top of the second as Fugett doubled to center field and stole third on L. Lucius’ at-bat. L. Lucius got the RBI with a single and McKiney reached on a hit with Huffman loading the bases on a line drive past second base.
A. Lucius got an RBI and Edmondson cleared the bases, hitting a shot over the left field fence for a four-RBI homer.
The Lady Rams cruised to a 15-0 win in four innings.
In their second game, Fugett got the win from the hill as the Vardaman girls bested City 5-1.
Overall, coach Billy Dill had no complaints on the day or his team’s play.
“The top of the lineup got some really good line drive hits and the middle of the lineup came up with some big hits,” Dill said. “The bottom of the lineup did a good job of getting on base and turning the lineup over. We played good defensively and just had a fun day.”
The Lady Rams started the week at 2-5, having previously lost to 4A Pontotoc and two State Championship teams from 2013, East Webster and Houston. Dill hopes their success in the tournament will provide a spark as they get closer to division play set to begin the end of the month.
“I believe for the first time this season the girls really came together as a team and played a couple of very good games all around,” Dill said. “I thought the tourney was successful with some really good games and a beautiful day.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- GWENDOLYN PEARSON: Tourism tax and internet service March 26, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- Okolona excluded from Chickasaw, Houston merger March 28, 2017
- Orientation leaders named March 28, 2017
- POLITICAL ANNOUNCEMENTS March 28, 2017
- Hollenhead named MACJC Player of the Week March 30, 2017
- Supervisors pay to fix Okolona elevator March 30, 2017
- County eyes CCRCF numbers March 30, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Getting ready March 29, 2017
- Houston, Okolona host banquets March 29, 2017
- Patricia Burgess Cossey: This is to address the Tourism Tax. I recently hea...
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago