Lady Cats battling through
The Lady Wildcats got off to a great start last week but didn’t finish up as well.
The Houlka girls romped over Potts Camp, 15-5, in their Thursday game with pitcher, Cara Martin, leading at the plate and batting 1.000. Martin went 4-4 with an RBI but had company as Temp Webb also batted 1.000, going 2-2 with a double.
Kyanna Hollin contributed a double and Asia Vance, Allunah Tumblin and Jesse Moore all added a stolen base in the effort.
Coach Vicki Homan shuffled some players around earlier in the season but thinks she may be closer to getting the puzzle pieces to fit.
“Things are shaping up, but we’re still working to find the best combination,” Homan said.
The Lady Wildcats were on the receiving end of a drumming Friday as the North Pontotoc Lady Vikings came to town and left with a 13-1 win.
“We just played horrible Friday,” Homan said. “We’ve played better every game – until Friday.”
The Lady Vikings took a 4-0 lead in the first inning and that set the tone for the rest of the game.
The Lady Vikings continued to march forward in the top of the second as Tia Davis singled over second and Kelsey Robertson sent her home on a double then advanced to third on a pass ball but was stranded as Katie Denton grounded out.
The Lady Cats tried to chip away at the lead in the bottom of the frame and the Lady Vikings helped them out as a North Pontotoc error allowed Paige Graves to reach on a pop-fly and Asia Vance advanced her on a single over second. Temp Webb’s single, combined with another North Pontotoc error, sent Graves across the plate and the Lady Cats got on the board, 1-4, but stranded two runners at the close of the inning.
The Houlka defense held the Lady Vikings in the third as Bayle Bryant grounded out to Cara Martin on the mound who hit Jesse Moore at first. Abby Wilder hit a fly-out to Webb in left field and Maggie Garrett grounded out,leaving Madison Carnes on first.
But the Lady Vikings more than made up for it in the fourth as Katlin Robertson hit an inside-the-park, two-RBI homer and the North Pontotoc girls were sparked to go on to the win.
The Lady Wildcats go straight into district play this week as they hosted Vardaman Tuesday and Smithville Thursday. They will be at home Saturday in a round-robin tourney with Potts Camp and Biggersville Saturday and go right back to district hosting Hamilton April 1.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago