Eagles sweep week
The Eagles were a big winner in local and area baseball as they swept three games last week.
Hebron 2 vs. Victory 1
Hebron and Victory both got off to a slow start with neither team recording offense on the scoreboard and both leaving three runners stranded through six innings.
“I don’t know if it was the cold night or first day back at school from Spring break,” said coach Cass Tapley “Whatever it was, we just couldn’t get anything going.”
In the top of the sixth a Hebron error put Victory’s leadoff man on and he scored on a single to left putting them ahead 1-0.
But Victory’s lead would not last long.
In the bottom of the inning Hebron’s Brandon England singled to put the tying run on. Channing Tapley then took the next pitch over the left field fence for the walk-off two-run homerun.
Hitting for HCS: Drew Myatt 1/3; England 1/3, 1 run; Tapley 1/3, 1 run, 2 RBI; clay Faulkner 1/2.
Pitching: Myatt 3 innings, 6K, 0 runs; Payton Grifin 2 innings, 1K 0 runs; Englund 2 innings, 1 run.
Hebron 15 vs. Central 4
HCS scored three in first, one in third, four in fourth, five in sixth and two in seventh.
Hitting for HCS: Drew Myatt 4/4 (2)HR, 2B, 5 runs; Channing Tapley 2/4 2B, 1 run; Payton Griffin 2/5, 2 runs; Brandon England 1/3, 2B, 3 runs; Clay Faulkner 1/4, 1 run; Troy Arnold 1/4; Landon Hill 1/4; Hayden Carty 2 runs; Jessie Moore 1 run.
Pitching in order of appearance: Myatt 1 inning 2K, 0 hit, 0 runs; Griffin 1 inning, 1K, 0 hits, 0 runs; England 2 innings, 3K, 3 hits, 3 runs (1 earned); Tapley 2 innings, 4K, 1 hit, 1 run, unearned.
“We hit the ball better than the night before and Drew had a career day,” Tapley said. “We should have finished the game in five but had a few mental lapses in the last couple innings that allowed some scoring. Having Collin (Moore) out with a broken hand certainly didn’t help on offense or defense. Overall, we are improving in some area each game and we are getting a little pitching depth. Our arms are still not in mid season shape yet. With basketball going so deep in the playoffs we weren’t able to get in the preseason throwing that we needed and we are watching the pitch counts closely. I expect one of the pitchers to step up and give us that 5-6 inning game any time now.”
Hebron 10 vs. Kemper 3
Kemper Academy jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first but HCS tied it up in the bottom of the inning.
Hebron would add four in the fourth and four more in the sixth.
Payton Griffin went the full seven innings on the mound for the Eagles striking out 12 and scattering five hits.
“I think this was the coming out party for Payton,” Tapley said. “His pitching was outstanding against an athletic Kemper team.”
Offensively, Hebron had eight hits in six at-bats.
“It was a nice district win,” Tapley said.
Hitting for HCS: Griffin 3/3 2B, 2 runs; Brandon England 3/4, 3 runs; Troy Arnold 1/4; Landon Hill 1/2, 1 run; Drew Myatt 2 runs; Channing Tapley 1 run; Hayden Carty 1 run. The win puts the Eagles closing last week at 6-1-1, 3-0.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- Houston drops two to Noxubee February 15, 2017
- BIRTH: Easton Rhett Dendy February 19, 2017
- BIRTH: Swayze Jo Flora February 19, 2017
- County ponders TRPDD alliance February 20, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Chickasaw man injured in Shannon wreck February 21, 2017
- Sirens to go off Wednesday for statwide tornado drill February 21, 2017
- ICC names Adult Learner scholars February 21, 2017
- WIN Center offers iPhone class February 21, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago