Eagles sweep week
The Eagles were a big winner in local and area baseball as they swept three games last week.
Hebron 2 vs. Victory 1
Hebron and Victory both got off to a slow start with neither team recording offense on the scoreboard and both leaving three runners stranded through six innings.
“I don’t know if it was the cold night or first day back at school from Spring break,” said coach Cass Tapley “Whatever it was, we just couldn’t get anything going.”
In the top of the sixth a Hebron error put Victory’s leadoff man on and he scored on a single to left putting them ahead 1-0.
But Victory’s lead would not last long.
In the bottom of the inning Hebron’s Brandon England singled to put the tying run on. Channing Tapley then took the next pitch over the left field fence for the walk-off two-run homerun.
Hitting for HCS: Drew Myatt 1/3; England 1/3, 1 run; Tapley 1/3, 1 run, 2 RBI; clay Faulkner 1/2.
Pitching: Myatt 3 innings, 6K, 0 runs; Payton Grifin 2 innings, 1K 0 runs; Englund 2 innings, 1 run.
Hebron 15 vs. Central 4
HCS scored three in first, one in third, four in fourth, five in sixth and two in seventh.
Hitting for HCS: Drew Myatt 4/4 (2)HR, 2B, 5 runs; Channing Tapley 2/4 2B, 1 run; Payton Griffin 2/5, 2 runs; Brandon England 1/3, 2B, 3 runs; Clay Faulkner 1/4, 1 run; Troy Arnold 1/4; Landon Hill 1/4; Hayden Carty 2 runs; Jessie Moore 1 run.
Pitching in order of appearance: Myatt 1 inning 2K, 0 hit, 0 runs; Griffin 1 inning, 1K, 0 hits, 0 runs; England 2 innings, 3K, 3 hits, 3 runs (1 earned); Tapley 2 innings, 4K, 1 hit, 1 run, unearned.
“We hit the ball better than the night before and Drew had a career day,” Tapley said. “We should have finished the game in five but had a few mental lapses in the last couple innings that allowed some scoring. Having Collin (Moore) out with a broken hand certainly didn’t help on offense or defense. Overall, we are improving in some area each game and we are getting a little pitching depth. Our arms are still not in mid season shape yet. With basketball going so deep in the playoffs we weren’t able to get in the preseason throwing that we needed and we are watching the pitch counts closely. I expect one of the pitchers to step up and give us that 5-6 inning game any time now.”
Hebron 10 vs. Kemper 3
Kemper Academy jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first but HCS tied it up in the bottom of the inning.
Hebron would add four in the fourth and four more in the sixth.
Payton Griffin went the full seven innings on the mound for the Eagles striking out 12 and scattering five hits.
“I think this was the coming out party for Payton,” Tapley said. “His pitching was outstanding against an athletic Kemper team.”
Offensively, Hebron had eight hits in six at-bats.
“It was a nice district win,” Tapley said.
Hitting for HCS: Griffin 3/3 2B, 2 runs; Brandon England 3/4, 3 runs; Troy Arnold 1/4; Landon Hill 1/2, 1 run; Drew Myatt 2 runs; Channing Tapley 1 run; Hayden Carty 1 run. The win puts the Eagles closing last week at 6-1-1, 3-0.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago