Local golfers tagged as medalists
Two local golfers snagged top honors on the links in separate outings.
Vardaman’s Brandon Walker earned the medalist honor March 20 at the Pontotoc Country Club. Calhoun City won the match, but Walker shot a 37 for the low score. Cody McMahan, also playing from Vardaman, shot a 61.
Houston’s Tanner Bullock was the medalist in the Hilltopper’s March 24 match in Grenada, shooting a XXXXX.
The Hilltoppers have gotten a slow start to the season, battling rain and wet conditions, but made their first effort on the links March 18 where Bullock shot a 43 and placed fourth overall.
“It was the first match playing against stiff competition at the toughest course in the state,” said coach Ty Hardin. “The kids were pretty nervous but it was a good experience for them and a good first test.”
Toppers battling on the courts
The Hilltoppers had a rough time of it in New Albany March 18, dropping all games to the 2013 State Championship team.
“There is a reason they are three-time State champs,” said coach Clayton Dodd. “We did gain some knowledge and experience from playing them. I’m sure we will most likely see them again in playoffs.”
They fared better March 21 at Pontotoc where Paige Griffin won in girl’s singles and Walt Harrington and Chase Eldridge won in boy’s doubles. Lane Brandon and Hannah Welch won their match in mixed doubles.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Testing our schoolsEDITORIAL: Testing our schools July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago