Rams battle through nine
The Rams dropped a district game to Tupelo Christian Prep March 28, but the Vardaman boys took it through nine innings of fierce competition.
“It was a good game,” said Vardaman coach Boo Griffin. “We played really good early in and hit kind of a slump, but it seemed like we were getting it back for a while.”
The Eagles brought in their top pitcher, senior Israel Foster, and the Rams scored a run off him, showing Griffin his young team is growing up on the field.
“They never quit till the final out,” Griffin said. “We’ve got to keep that kind of momentum going.”
Dalton Huffman was the pitcher of record for the Rams. Chase Owens and Brandon Washington had two hits each and J.C. Hare had a hit and scored a run. Ty Long had a hit and walked on twice.
The Rams fell to Houlka in district play March 25 by a margin of 5-10 and lost to West Union, 4-14, in a round-robin tourney at Bruce Saturday.
“They hit the ball well and just came out early,” Griffin said of the West Union Eagles. “Somtimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team. They just played better.
Against West Union, Kemp Edmondson took the loss on the hill. Owens had two hits and three stolen bases and Allen Hendrix and Hunter Spencer had one hit each.
The Rams wrapped up their week with a close battle against the Trojans of Bruce, falling 7-8. The Rams went for the tying run only to be thrown out a the plate in the top of the seventh.
Long was the pitcher of record and recorded two hits while J.C. Hare led at the plate with a home run and three RBI.
owens had a hit and three stolen bases and Brandon Washington had a hit, a run and two steals.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Samford names Herrod to Dean’s List July 20, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Sundancer finishes first, again July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago