Lady Toppers take two
No one said it would be easy to replace three dominant pitchers from the past two years, but the Lady Toppers haven’t shied away from the challenge.
“We have to dig deep and play hard and this team has done that all year long,” said coach Jeffery Mann.
Three-year starter, Haley Gravat, graduated in 2012 and the tag-team of Avery Springer and Audi Dendy left at graduation this year, but sophomore Madeline Burdine and senior Taylor Lancaster have stepped up to the mound and led the Lady Toppers to two district wins last week.
The Houston girls drummed Caledonia 11-2 on March 25 and blasted Leake Central 14-1 on March 27 with Burdine getting the nod for both games.
In the Caledonia game Burdine went 2-3 at the plate with a double, triple and RBI while Lancaster had a three RBI homer. Talaja Echoles and Alexis McShan added two RBI each and Mary Kansas Sullivan had one RBI.
In the Leake game both Scarlett Doss and Echoles went 2-3 with an RBI, Lancaster had three RBI and Quaneshia Pratt had four RBI.
“We played well against Caledonia and Leake,” Mann said. “Pitched well and the bats came alive.”
The Lady Toppers entered the week at 2-1 in division, taking their only loss to the Lady Whippets they are scheduled to play Thursday.
“Tough week this week,” Mann said. “We travel to West Lauderdale Tuesday and host Kosy Thursday. We also travel to Itawamba Friday. You won’t find three tougher games in any team’s weekly schedule. All three of those teams are good ones.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago