Authorities warns of ‘IRS Phone Scam’
Scammers are threatening to arrest if people don’t pay back taxes that they really don’t owe.
The BBB is warning Mississippi residents to be alert if anyone calls, particularly having to do with
personal tax information.
“We have been experiencing an increase of calls this week from Mississippians stating that they
have been contacted via phone from the IRS claiming they owe back taxes” said John O’Hara, of
the BBB serving Mississippi. “They are threatening to put an arrest warrant out on individuals or
their assets will be frozen.”
“These scammers are sometimes successful because they are aggressive and are attempting to
scare people into reacting before thinking,” says O’Hara. “ They have two goals in mind, one is
to steal someone’s identity and the other is a quick payment through a moneygram card to avoid
further penalties or jail time.”
The BBB is giving some key points that people need to remember if they receive these phone
● The IRS doesn’t contact people by phone, always by mail.
● The IRS will never threaten to arrest an individual.
● The BBB wants the public to remember that if they do owe back taxes, the IRS
will send out notices. People usually receive multiple notices from the IRS when
they owe money.
Chickasaw County residents who feel they are the target of any kind of phone scam are urged to contact the Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department immediately.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- MDOT moves forward with Hwy. 15 work August 21, 2016
- Okolona offense tramples Nettleton August 25, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- Pontotoc rains on Houston August 25, 2016
- Cowboys’ veterans big fans of Prescott August 28, 2016
- Flywheel Festival seeks vendors August 28, 2016
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT MEETINGS August 27, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago