OKOLONA – Alvie Dow “Bunt” Griggs Jr., 85, died Sunday, April 13, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice in Tupelo. He was born Aug. 25, 1928, in Chickasaw County to Alvie Dow Griggs Sr. and Flora Hulsey Griggs.
He served in the U.S. Army as a private first class during the Korean War. He retired from People Loungers, where he was a mechanic. He was a member of Church of God of Prophecy.
Services were at 2 p.m. Monday, April 15, at Southern Funeral Chapel in Houston with Sis. Margaret Browning and Bro. Tony Rooks officiating. Burial was in Macedonia Methodist Church Cemetery. Southern Funeral Chapel is in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by his wife, Rachel L. Griggs of Okolona; his children, Roy Clint Griggs (Becky) of Grenada, Patricia Lewis (Eddie) of Okolona, Rodney Griggs of Okolona and Marvin Griggs (Madrin) of Okolona; nine grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild; his brothers, David Griggs (Barbara) of Aberdeen and James “Son” Griggs (Janice) of Louisiana; and his sisters, Elizabeth Johnson (Bobby) of Houston, Lorene Burgess (Odell) of Houston, Virginia Arys of South Carolina and Lavern Davis of Arkansas.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Alvie and Flora Griggs; his brothers, Cooper Griggs and Arnold Griggs; a grandson, James Clinton Griggs; and a great-grandson, Peyton Ryan Harris.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- TOPPER PRIDE: Houston High School PTO forms, host fundraiser. November 25, 2016
- Egg Bowl notebook 2016 November 30, 2016
- Houlka leaning on veteran leadership November 30, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- Community gives thanks December 1, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago