Houston hosts a who?
The Toppers know they have the number two spot in division 4-4A.
They know they will host Game One of their first playoff series Thursday.
The only question is – against who?
“We won’t know we we’ve got until Tuesday night with division 2-4A is complete,” said coach Scott Gann.
The 2-4A battle for positions is still underway for Ripley, New Albany and Lafayette County, but Gann says the competition is pretty even.
“Those are all capable of being a number-one seed, for sure,” Gann said.
The Toppers were tied for first place going into last week and hoped to secure the number-one spot by winning over West Lauderdale. In their April 17 game, the Toppers broke the game open in the sixth with three runs, but the Knights retaliated with four in the bottom of the inning and held the lead for the win.
Friday’s game saw the Toppers take an 8-0 loss to the Knights.
“Thursday was just a complete and total draining game,” Gann said. “Physically, emotionally and any other term you would like to use. Austin Burdine pitched a one-hitter and our offense put up three runs in the top of the sixth to go up 3-0 off their ace who has signed with Ole Miss and throws consistently 88 mph and touched 92-93 a few times the other night and we still got beat.”
With both games behind them the Toppers will now begin traveling the playoff road with the goal of State on the horizon. In the best-of-three format, Friday’s game will put the Houston boys on the road and if a Saturday game is needed, it will be played at home.
“We are the number-two seed and play in a three-game series this week, so that is now our focus,” Gann said.
The Toppers have been here before, making runs past division for the last two years and know the work that lies ahead.
“We are just taking it one game and one series at a time,” Gann said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Dendy’s named Man, Woman of the Year July 17, 2016
- Nabors named top home improvement store in state July 18, 2016
- ICC offers manufacturing program July 20, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Houston’s Kinard honored by PTK July 21, 2016
- Homegrown and Houston proud July 23, 2016
- ICC registration underway July 22, 2016
- Hebron honors hoop champions July 22, 2016
- Houston, Houlka, Okolona districts get “C” July 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...
- LindaWando390: Valuable article , Speaking of which , if one has ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago