Paying it forward
For the second year, two scholarships in honor of the former history teacher and coach at Houlka Attendance Center will be presented at graduation and fundraising efforts are currently underway.
“Last year, two $500 scholarship were given to two seniors graduating from Houlka High School and attending college,” said scholarship committee member Pammie Davidson. “The committee members are in the process of raising money for the fund.”
Members are selling various items including chances on a new bicycle.
“It would be great to win the bike to ride the Tanglefoot Trail,” Davidson said.
Chances are $2 each or three for $5. Red and black bracelets inscribed with the message “Stay Strong, No Excuses” are available for $1 each.
“Stay strong was the saying coach Byars always used with his students and family,” Davidson added.
An alumni baseball and softball games are planned for later in the fall and tax deductible donations may be made through the CREATE Foundation at any time by going online to www.createdfoundation.com and selecting the Coach Jimbo Byars Scholarship Fund or by mailing to CREATE, 213 West Main St., Unit 100, Tupelo, MS 38804.
Chances on the bike and bracelets may be purchased at
n Houlka City Hall
n G&T Auto Sales
n Home baseball and softball games
Committee members include Sonja Byars, Davidson, Susan Harmon, Wendy Huiffman, Todd Ivan and coach Jimmy Guy McDonald.
Students who apply for the scholarship are required to write an essay to be reviewed by the committee.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SENIOR SEASON 2017 April 16, 2017
- Houston loses to Kosciusko April 19, 2017
- Spring is a time to grow April 20, 2017
- Houlka to open bids for new school April 20, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- GLENN MOLETTE: America and shooting back April 22, 2017
- Lifecore book drive says thank you April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 4 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 4 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 4 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 4 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 4 years ago